Exercise for Healthy Aging

exercise for the elderly


Exercise for the elderly. 

best walking shoes for seniorsJust when I was about to settle down in the pasture as a newly-retired nearly-old man overcome by sluggishness, this article that I'm sharing reminded me that retirement and old age is not about relaxing and taking it easy. The article stresses the importance of exercise for the elderly and that staying active through exercise is a necessary part of healthy aging. The piece which appeared in a popular health blog also asserts that any type of exercise is beneficial. Low-impact exercises are recommended as the best choice, especially when combined with weight-bearing exercises. The article goes on to list types of exercises, grouped into cardiovascular exercises, balance training, and strength training, with the advice to choose at least one exercise from each group. The article can be viewed from here.

I like the idea of doing several exercises, not just one, from different exercise groups, so this notion of exercise routines for seniors looks fun. From the cardiovascular group, maybe I can take up light jogging or walking since I used to run when I was younger. I also used to lift weights, so I can just take it up again, which should satisfy the strength training group requirement. For the balance training group, I'm leaning towards Tai Chi, although my sister teaches Yoga and Pilates. I'll need to find a Tai Chi club nearby. Another consideration for the choices is that I don't need to purchase special exercise equipment for seniors, especially for walking or jogging. I can use stuff around the house for free weights, so I'll just need to get myself activewear for seniors consisting of jogging pants and light t shirts, as well comfortable shoes for the elderly. This set of workout clothes can be used for both walking and jogging, as well as for Tai Chi.

fitness tracker for seniors
One special equipment that I might buy, though, is a fitness tracker. I'm not sure if there are models or brands specifically for seniors, I'll have to look around. Back when I was running, I used a smartphone and fitness tracking app to record and keep track of my progress. The smartphone also doubled as my music player while I was running. The smartphone-fitness tracker-music player combo was a bit unwieldy to operate. Maybe it's time I get a dedicated fitness tracking device.

So as soon as I'm properly geared up, I'll start doing this senior citizen workout around my pasture. Or maybe I'll just watch dance exercise videos for seniors.

Here's a picture of a cat. Just because.



Comments